Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the Anime Club forums of PETHS!
Please read and follow the Forums Rules.

+3
InuoeK
Essences*
ShikiNeko
7 posters

[Workshop] Manga Editing

ShikiNeko
    ShikiNeko
    Admin
    Admin

[Workshop] Manga Editing Empty [Workshop] Manga Editing

Post  ShikiNeko Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:58 pm

[Workshop] Manga Editing Mangaeditingworkshop
    Hello everyone!

As some of you might already know, I work in a couple of Scanlation Groups to help out with their beautiful manga. Before I jump into what we are going to do in this workshop, I would like to give a quick explanation about scanlation first.

Table of Content:

1.1 ................................................................. Scanlation
    1.2 ................................................................. Jobs
    2.1 ................................................................. Workshop
    2.2 ................................................................. Examples
    2.3 ................................................................. How it works
    2.4 ................................................................. Special Helpers
    3.1 ................................................................. Sign Up List
    4.1 ................................................................. Practices

1.1 - Scanlation:

Scanlation is a compilation of 2 words; Scan and translation. Basically they are the people who spend their free time scanning, translating, proofreading, editing and quality checking the manga we read online. As you may have figured it out, they are groups of people and each staffs members in the group have their specific job and project. For those who think that MangaFox, OneManga and other online reading websites are the people who provides your manga...you are terribly wrong to the point I want to punch you. XD

-----------------------------------------------------

1.2 - Jobs:

Admin/Co-Admin: They are the people who runs the Scanlation Team. Big decisions for the group are made by them.

Scanners: These are the godly people who use their own money to buy the raw version of a manga in Japanese/Chinese or Korean to scan them for the Scanlation Team. They are usually subscribed to monthly manga magazine, have a huge collection of manga and a really good scanner at home.

Translators: People who are fluent in both Japanese (Chinese or Korean) and English. Their job is to translate everything into English. Some groups require them to translate all SFX (sound effect) as well.

Proofreaders: Also known as the grammar nazis...nah, just joking they are pretty nice and easy going people. Basically they have a very good knowledge of the English language. They proofread the translations to make sure that there is no grammars, punctuations and missing translations.

Editors: They receive the raw manga scans and clean + typeset them to make them look like a real black and white manga page. A lot of people says that Editor has the hardest job since they have many battles to fight against evil SFX! Basically they must have good knowledge of Photoshop.

Cleaners: Cleaners have the same job as editors except they do not typeset the manga. This job might actually be pretty fast if there isn't any SFX around. Good knowledge of Photoshop is needed as well.

Typesetters: Already cleaned manga pages are send to them for typesetting. Must have a variety of fonts installed into the computer. Their job seems to be easy but it is actually not (How do I know? Because I've done Editor, Cleaner and Typesetter job before). They must make sure that the font they use is readable, centered, smooth and spaced.

Quality Checkers: Their job is to look over the typesetted chapter to make sure that there is no editing and grammar mistakes as well as missing translations. Some groups will require the QC'er to be able to use Photoshop to fix editing mistakes.

2.1 - Workshop:

In this workshop, we will only be working with Manga Editing. Be it editing, cleaning or typesetting I can teach you individually! Since we will all be using Photoshop as our main tool, it won't be hard for me to assist people doing different jobs. So basically I am willing to teach anyone that wants to learn how to edit raw manga scans.

2.2 - Examples:

[Workshop] Manga Editing Soraotovol01chap04pg24r.th [Workshop] Manga Editing Soraotovol01chap04pg24t.th
    [Workshop] Manga Editing Kiminotonariv01ch03104r.th [Workshop] Manga Editing Kiminotonariv01ch03104t.th
    [Workshop] Manga Editing Gunjou048049rawtemplate.th [Workshop] Manga Editing Gunjou048049template.th

2.3 - How it works:

Well, aren't you lucky that I am part of a scanlation group? I have access to raws, and cleans that we can use for practice or training. If you are not busy with school and want to try and help out a scanlation team as an editor, you can always ask me to teach you before you try out their tests. However, I won't be doing the test for you. I will teach you how to re-draw, clone, level, etc. Also for those who are considering to join a scanlation team, I recommend you to be responsible and can stand pressure/stress.

2.4 - Special Helpers:

Like I mentioned before, I am part of a scanlation group but the thing is...I have way too much school work and the club to take care off. So I will need some people that are willing to help me typeset. The truth is, I am not allowed to show people any translations and raw/clean scans before the actual release. So I would like a few people who are trust worthy, responsible and dedicated to help. The only disadvantage for you guys is that you won't get any credits for helping me out...since I am not even supposed to ask for other people's help in the first place. Now you must be wondering "Then why are you asking for help? Huh~?" the answer is...I have too much to do and too little time! I can't finish them all so a little help will be appreciated. So let me know if you are interested!

3.1 - Sign Up List:

Since there won't be workshops every week, manga editing can be easily held online through this forum. So after our first workshop (date to be announced), the members who are interested to learn more can come here and post their name. You can also post your name now...but do know that I am expecting you to actually participate.

4.1 - Practices:

Editing:
    01 - https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img517/5157/workshoppracticeediting.png
    02 - https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img826/5157/workshoppracticeediting.png
    03 - https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img600/5157/workshoppracticeediting.png

Typesetting:
    Example - https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img189/9077/workshoppracticetypeset.png
    Practice - https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img98/9077/workshoppracticetypeset.png

Example - https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img502/9077/workshoppracticetypeset.png
    Practice - https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img35/9077/workshoppracticetypeset.png

Example - https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img89/9077/workshoppracticetypeset.png
    Practice - https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img834/9077/workshoppracticetypeset.png

Last edited by ShikiNeko on Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:47 am; edited 2 times in total
    Essences*
    Essences*
    Veteran
    Veteran

[Workshop] Manga Editing Empty Re: [Workshop] Manga Editing

Post  Essences* Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:07 pm

SHIKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKI-SAMA!
    [Workshop] Manga Editing Kr_heart_animation
    InuoeK
    InuoeK
    Respected Member
    Respected Member

Post  InuoeK Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:14 am

I'm interested, count me in Smile
    Maddy-sama
    Maddy-sama
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post  Maddy-sama Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:12 pm

So, that sounds awesomeee. I've always wanted to learn how to do it. XD
    RinaStar
    RinaStar
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post  RinaStar Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:57 pm

Sounds awesommmmmmmeeee~ Count me in~
    InuoeK
    InuoeK
    Respected Member
    Respected Member

Post  InuoeK Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:33 am

Me and four of the execs
    oh baby bounce cheers bounce
    ShikiNeko
    ShikiNeko
    Admin
    Admin

Post  ShikiNeko Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:10 pm

RinaStar wrote:Sounds awesommmmmmmeeee~ Count me in~
    ROFL! I thought that you were going to open a workshop with Sophia? XD
    Well it doesn't matter since my workshop is OPEN TO EVERYONE~

@InuoeK: Why do I feel like you hinted harem somewhere in that sentence? XD
    Essences*
    Essences*
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post  Essences* Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:13 pm

ShikiNeko wrote:@InuoeK: Why do I feel like you hinted harem somewhere in that sentence? XD

AGREEEEEEEEEE LOLS.
    RinaStar
    RinaStar
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post  RinaStar Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:28 pm

ShikiNeko wrote:

WAIT WAIT. I AM? I tried messaging Sijia and I never agreed to do a workshop with Sophia (no offence) BUT I CAN'T DRAW CHIBIS. I was going to do a workshop on how to draw sparkly shoujo girls.
    ShikiNeko
    ShikiNeko
    Admin
    Admin

Post  ShikiNeko Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:09 am

RinaStar wrote:
    ShikiNeko wrote:

WAIT WAIT. I AM? I tried messaging Sijia and I never agreed to do a workshop with Sophia (no offence) BUT I CAN'T DRAW CHIBIS. I was going to do a workshop on how to draw sparkly shoujo girls.

Ooooh! Ok, I might have heard it wrong then. LOL Sorry about that. So you are going to open a workshop to draw shoujo girls? XD If so, you should make a post! LOL
    ShikiNeko
    ShikiNeko
    Admin
    Admin

Post  ShikiNeko Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:04 am

-Yes I am abusing my Admin Power to double post-

Ok, since it was really difficult to teach you guys properly on Thursdays. I am willing to teach you step by step through Skype or MSN. Just PM me if you are interested! Also, I am looking for 1 or 2 more people to help me typeset. Don't worry, I will have the cleans and translations (in word docs.) ready for you. All you have to do is copy/paste the translations into the right bubbles using the right fonts. I will also teach you one on one if required. So let me know if you are willing to help me out! ^^
    oysho
    oysho

Post  oysho Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:34 pm

hi i wanted to learn to be an editor count me in Smile
    mariyam
    mariyam

Post  mariyam Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:17 am

I really want help and i would love to become a typesetter

Sponsored content